As many of you may already know, we’re probably moving to Atlanta this summer. Greenville has a lot going for it—close proximity to mountains, relatively little traffic, a cool downtown, lots of festivals, an unbeatable neighborhood and some good friends (you know who you are!) I do feel like I need to answer some of my perplexed acquaintances as to why I would voluntarily go back to smog and traffic that has doubled since I left -- over ten years ago.
Here are some reasons why:
1. Grandparents—I love my in-laws and they really dig the kids! They actually want to stay with them while we go do something totally non-kid related—go figure.
2. Movies—good ones, not “when they come to DVD” but when they’re released. The two Megaplexes in Greenville play the same sanitized line-up. (I know the Carmike has been reinvented as Camelot, but their line-up only differs from the big guys by one movie. It IS a start.)
3. Small neighborhood schools— The trend in our part of SC is high school-sized malls. Will does go to a shiny new school, but it is also the biggest in the state and already over capacity (1100 kids, give or take). The entire school cannot meet simultaneously. (The holiday program is divided by grades over two evenings.) The largest school we're considering in GA is less than half the size of Mauldin Elementary.
4. Diane—My best friend from high school and college lives near the Mall of Georgia—just think of the possibilities! And I just can’t quit her…
5. Agatha’s Mystery Theatre. www.agathas.com We’ve gone there a couple of times for anniversaries. I’m a giant ham and at Agatha’s I can be myself.
6. A slightly bluer state than South Carolina. (But let's face it how much redder could ya get?)
7. My dad hates Atlanta.
8. Cousins—Reese will have 2 cousins her age to grow up with, plus Diane's two daughters and her neice--all under 3! (Will has to settle for his 16 year-old uncle.)
9. Sorry Dad, just a joke. If you visit me there, I’ll know you really love me!
10. Cinema draft-houses. (See #2 above, plus beer!)
11. Eddie’s Attic plus dozens of other cool live music places I haven’t even heard of!
12. The Georgia Aquarium!! (My mom-in-law is a volunteer there.)
13. Stone Mountain!!!
14. Felini’s!!!!
I do want to join a book club, take dance lessons (and maybe kick-boxing?) I could do those thinks in Greenville but there are no grandparents to spoil the kids while I’m gone!

4 Comments:
I forgot Chastain Park, Chin-Chin, OHOP, the Highlands (Virginia and Poncey)-- I could go on and on
Piedmont Park, Midtown, Little Five Points, Sherridan's Frozen Custard, Chic-fil-A, Midtown Music Festival, the HOV lane, etc...
Atlanta IS great!! Can't wait to see you down here!!
And lets not forget the most important reason...it is 21 less miles to come see me!!!!!
Hey Diana--
Don't you mean 21 "fewer" miles? I'm glad I wasn't your English teacher!
Post a Comment
<< Home